Monday, March 12, 2007

 

Updates

Today I get to walk in a quit a job I've only had for 3 days. Its not because there's anything necessarily wrong with the job (although its in a cubicle and I did move halfway across the country to get away from my last cubicle) its just that another job has come my way that I think will be a better fit and leave me happier. First a bit of backstory I guess.

Up until Feb 19th I was employed by Dell. I worked in the mall selling computers. Easy enough. On Feb 19th I was asked to join a conference call on which I was told my (and 37 other) dell store was being closed down. On Tuesday Feb 20th this was all that was left of the store.
Just a stain on the carpet

To be honest, Dell didn't actually fire me. they offered me a position elsewhere, but seeing as there aren't any other positions in Asheville, I decided to take a severance. (which, by the way, is a pretty sweet gig. You get paid to NOT go to work.) But, unfortunately the severance was only 6 weeks. So, after a week of steady drinking, I realized I needed to find some sort of employment.

Now Asheville is a shitty job market. There is no industry here, excepting tourism and medical. Most employers have an attitude of "Well, if you don't like it, there are 10 people behind you looking for a job." Which is why I was expecting to have a tough time with the hunt. I was certainly not expecting to get 3 tempting offers in two weeks. First there was a tech consultant gig for a super high-end gated community. This offer is actually still up in the air and depending on what happend over the next couple weeks I might still end up over there. Then came an offer from PowerChurch Software, a small software company that write software for churches. Since this is what I'm studying in school, I decided to take the job. that was last Friday and I started at Powerchurch on Wed. This past friday I got a call from Charlotte St. Computers. They wanted me to come work there. They are a small computer repair shop I have had a relationship with for a few years now. They have been growing exponentially and need help. So that's where I am headed. No cubes, no phone support, I get to use my Tech and customer service experience, I am literally 100 yards from Angela's animal hospital (its called Charlotte St. Animal Hospital), 5 minute commute, huge windows, sunlight, nice folks to work with, etc, etc.....

But first, I have to go quit over at PowerChurch. Yuck. I wish I could just go and do it now, but I'm not scheduled until noon. Actually, come to think of it, I might as well go now. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Matt

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?